Friday, October 20, 2017

Keller Williams: BOLD

Hello, I'm Misty Bowles and I am BOLD!

Okay, I probably haven't earned the right to say that yet as I've only attended the first step to Bold, but I am now registered for the entire program thanks to my wonderful friend and soon to be team mate at Keller Williams, Corey. I'm excited and afraid of the Bold program, but the success of past attendees definitely seems worth the discomfort.

As I mentioned, I did attend the first step to Bold. I don't know what I was expecting going in, but I definitely left with new perspectives on the way I think and approach life and my career. I'm not going to lie, I almost cried at least 3 times as I took what the instructor was saying to heart - I really am my own worst enemy and I do over-analyze how I will accept defeat before even being defeated. I go into most situations expecting the worst, having a back up plan, and assuming failure; I need to change that. I need to approach things with confidence, and not be consumed with a disappointment that hasn't even happened yet.

I'll tell you right now, the thought of going into a career where I'll be considered an independent contractor terrifies me and I've been consumed with, "what if...". What if I fail, what if I have a bad month, what if I can't perform these required tasks, what if clients don't like me, what if my advertising photo is ugly, what if people don't want to work with me, what if they don't like me, what if I let everyone down? Yes, the defeatist attitude IS that intense and I know I can't change over night, but I think the Bold program will help - it already has.

We spoke about eliminating the words "but" and "try"
I'm guilty of saying, "I hope this works out for me, but if it doesn't...."
What does that "but" say?
To me, it's saying there is an option in regards to if I succeed or not, and there isn't.
I must succeed!
It's saying that I need to make a back up plan, but who needs one of those?
I'm going to succeed!

So, I need to replace that "but" with "and"
"I hope this works out, AND when it does..."
Doesn't that sound better?

"Try" will be replaced with "intend to", because there is no try.
I will not *try* to succeed.
I INTEND to succeed.

These lessons are valuable, and I will try....
No...
I INTEND to begin catching myself in conversations that are leading me into that defeatist attitude. I want my words, my tone, and my body language to appear confident.

I wasn't expecting to learn that the real key to success starts within, and not by the actions you take or the career you choose. Of course, career has a lot to do with it, but if you're not confident and you are not expecting to succeed - what's the point of a new career?





No comments:

Post a Comment